The Elliott Homes Blog
The Anatomy of the Perfect Sized HVAC System
Elliott Homes Right-Sizes Your HVAC System
Sure, we all know what right-sizing means when choosing your floor plan, but did you know it also matters when determining the HVAC system size in your home? Elliott Homes hires the best contractors on the MS Gulf Coast to ensure you are not getting a heating and cooling system that is either too big or too small, which can cause premature replacement and negatively affect energy savings.
The Process to Determine the Best Unit for Your Elliott Home
To ensure the best use of your HVAC system, EVERY HOME in Elliott Homes’ library of floorplans receives a Manual J Load Calculation (Residential Load Calculation) to determine the exact heating and cooling requirements for homes on a room-by-room basis and the entire home overall. Many builders use a one-and-done type calculation, in other words, one test for each floor plan like the Magnolia. However, to have the most accurate calculation, many factors are involved, which is why every Elliott Home receives an individual calculation. Results are based on the following:
- Homesite (The direction the home faces and how much sun it will get)
- Square footage
- Type of Insulation – Amount and R-Value
- Roof Shingles
- The number of current occupants in the home (based on bedroom amounts)
- Type of window and how many
- Window Coverings (2” blinds)
- The number of exterior doors and materials
- The type of material on your roof
- The direction your home faces
- A Blower Door Test pressurizes the indoor space to reveal the amount of air infiltration
Right-Sizing the system based on the load calculation ensures:
- An energy-efficient system tailored to your home eliminates the moisture build-up an oversized unit causes. (Think MOLD)
- Spend less on maintenance over the unit’s life vs. the repairs of an oversized unit suffering the effects of short-cycling and other issues that add wear and tear on the equipment. The average cost to replace a poorly calculated unit can run between $5-$10k!
- Save on utility bills since the unit doesn’t use more electricity than needed.
- Added HVAC capacity (the wrong tonnage) wastes energy and money. A load calculation gives you the most efficient heating and cooling solution possible for each home, especially when done individually.
Elliott Homes is committed to creating a place where life gets better. This past year we have redesigned our homes with the best features and rolled back pricing to pre-pandemic levels. Ensuring your HVAC system is working at its best and putting the most money in your pocket with energy savings is important to us.
Our award-winning Design Team invested many hours in finding a way to include top-of-the-line upgrades, which many couldn’t add to the design center due to being at the top of their budget. How did we do this? Learn about the Elliott Homes’ Pivot.
For more information on our homes and communities, Contact Us online or call 1.844.289.3554 – 1.844.BUY.ELLIOTT